Many families consider assisted living communities as an option that offers essential care and comfort for their aging parents. However, it can be a daunting process to find the right senior living community that matches your parents’ exact personal and medical needs. The process can be made much easier when all the parties involved get together in a discussion to gather important information. If you are finding it hard to get the process started, here are some simple steps that you can follow to find the right fit for your parents.
Having a Conversation
The decision to relocate to an assisted living community is a huge choice and you need to involve your parents in order to facilitate a smooth transaction. The earlier your family gets on the same page, the better the outcome will be.
- Be Honest – Acknowledge your own capacity to provide care for your parents and communicate your concerns to them. Caregiving is a challenging task and if you cannot afford the time and effort, you need to be honest about it.
- Settle Disagreements – If there are disagreements with other family members, get them involved too. Let them know of the situation and why you believe providing your parents with professional care is much more important than leaving them aging in place on their own.
- Listen to Parents – You cannot force your parents to listen to you. If they are in denial about their need for care, find the right time to share your concerns, observations, and feelings. Listen to your parents and write down their preferences and apprehensions.
- Professional Mediator – You may also engage the services of a professional mediator. They can help your parents come to a mutual understanding about their concerns. They strive to give everyone involved a voice in a constructive and safe environment.
Understanding Assisted Living
Making a huge change can result in significant stress, especially when the change involves the elderly. When considering a new accommodation option for your parents, review the steps we have outlined below:
- Evaluate Their Needs – Start by first assessing their daily living activities. Can they dress, shower, groom, and move around with ease? How much assistance do they need daily?
- Understand What Assisted Living Offers – Read up on what you can expect from assisted living. It is not the same option as a nursing home or memory care that focuses on delivering a higher level of care.
- Consider Potential Benefits – Assisted living has evolved and now offers plenty of on-site amenities and services to provide optimum comfort and safety to residents.
- Consult a Senior Living Advisor – Their services are free of charge and they are highly experienced with the different senior living options. They can help you to narrow down your choices based on your unique needs.
Cost is another important factor that you need to consider when finding the right fit for your parents. Determine the kind of care that they need and assess the finances that your family can afford every month. From there, you can explore the different senior living communities within your preferred location to secure an option that matches your budget.